Visiting Sydney - What to See and Do
(Sydney Airport SYD, Australia)
A truly world-class city, Sydney is one of Australia's most popular tourist destinations. It is home to numerous historical, cultural and natural attractions including iconic landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, glorious sandy beaches, a thriving cultural scene and an exciting nightlife.
Nothing beats the views in this city and its location around the harbour is simply unbeatable. A hilly suburban terrain ensures views are plentiful and the weather seldom spoils it. But Sydney isn't just content to have you point a camera at it and Australia's most happening city offers lively day and night activities and has a racy, business-like character. One minute you feel you are in a maelstrom of urban sophistication, the next you're lounging on Bondi beach imagining you're somewhere miles away in Queensland.
Ten things you must do in Sydney
- Take a tour of the Sydney Opera House, a symbol of Australia and one of the most famous buildings in the world. If you have time, watch one of the world-class productions staged here.
- Climb to the top of the arch of Sydney Harbour Bridge for spectacular views across the city - not for the faint-hearted.
- Soak up the sun, catch some waves or just enjoy the scenery at Bondi Beach, a mecca for surfers, swimmers, tourists and locals alike.
- Stroll around the red light district in Kings Cross, with its strip clubs, adult shops and lively bars and discos.
- Take in the spectacular views from the Sydney AMP Tower, often known as Centrepoint Tower. It stands more than 985 feet tall and features a restaurant and observation deck.
- Risk a flutter over a game of roulette, blackjack or try the slot machines at the huge Star City Casino complex, which is open around the clock.
- Board a boat for a relaxing cruise around Sydney's scenic harbour and coastline. A number of cruises taking in various sights are available.
- Shop till you drop and hunt for bargains at Sydney's exclusive boutiques, bustling markets and many specialist stores.
- Enjoy a feast of entertainment including art, dance, theatre and music at the acclaimed Sydney Festival, held throughout the month of January each year.
- Dine out at one of Sydney's numerous first-class restaurants, which offer food from around the world. Afterwards, have a drink at one of the trendy bars in Darlinghurst.